Health authorities have recently changed their recommendation on exclusive breastfeeding (or infant formula) until about 4 months.
STAGE 1: First foods should be introduced between 4-6 months and consist of silky smooth purees which can be easily digested:
- Iron-enriched organic baby cereals (e.g. rice, millet)
- Organic vegetables (e.g. pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot)
- Organic fruit (e.g. pear, apple, mango, avocado)
STAGE 2: From around 6-7 months babies will be ready to experiment with an increased variety of foods and textures:
- Broader range of organic fruit, vegetables & herbs
- Legumes, pasta, rice, pulses & other grains (preferably gluten-free whole grains, such as quinoa.
- Cheese, natural whole milk yoghurt & egg yolks
STAGE 3: From around 7-8 months you can start to introduce a wide variety of foods that provide iron and essential fatty acids. Explore with new textures by mashing, grating and chopping:
- Organic meat, chicken & fish
- Pulses & grains
- Whole hard boiled egg
- Goat or Cow’s milk (in cooking only, continue to use breast milk & formula as main drink)
- Soft finger foods