Ensure your baby is not tired at mealtime. When children become uncooperative & irritable in the highchair, there are 2 things to consider: tiredness & energy. Arranging mealtimes away from sleep times will mean your child is fresh & happy to eat. Ensure all meals & snacks throughout the day are balanced & contain foods that will sustain their energy levels.
10 TIPS FOR HAPPY MEALTIMES:
- Avoid snacks close to mealtimes
- Provide small serves of varying & interesting food
- Keep mealtimes short (around 15 minutes)
- Respect your baby may not always be hungry
- Avoid battles - stay calm & relaxed
- For older Bubs have a child sized table & chair
- Make fun place mats, involving your baby or toddler in the creation
- Provide utensils but allow use of fingers & hands - children are born to make a mess!
- Sit with your baby at mealtimes, engage in conversation & assist with feeding
- Avoid television viewing while eating - try background music instead